Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Slowing Down Time

I am currently in the library because I had to print something off an "old school" computer because, for some reason, my laptop is not able to send print jobs to the on-campus printing system. And goodness me, was I annoyed. I still have copious amounts of readings to do before tomorrow and I have to do the dishes!

I often get asked what the biggest difference between Spain and the US and I almost always answer with, "The schedule." The Spanish get up late, eat late (try 9am, 3pm, and 10pm), and always nap. It was certainly weird, but gosh did I love it after a while.

The schedule is a certain mindset, where time is valued above being productive. Dinner at a restaurant was a three hour affair; a walk down to the park would be nearly a day's event. It wasn't that the service was terrible or the park was a ridiculous distance away; conversation and enjoyment of the area was the reason. Time in Spain operates differently than time in the US. Time's goal in Spain is not to get as much done as possible; time's goal is to provide happiness and fulfillment.

So, back to the library. I was going to use this time in the library to the maximum by replying to emails, texting people back, and doing things while I waited for the slower-than-my-laptop computer to log me on so I could print and get the heck out of here. After groaning about how dumb it this was, I came to realize how different my concept of time is from when I was in Spain. So, instead, to slow my time down, I put my phone down, refused to check my emails, and sat and enjoyed the time by people watching and admiring the artwork.

Although it may be difficult in the US and especially on a college campus to allow three hours for a meal or a day to hang at a park, it is possible to slow time down. Productivity may decrease, sure, but the quality of what is produced and the fulfillment gained from it, at least for me, far outweighs the loss of the productivity. I need to slow my time down and maybe there will be no need to hit a pause button or fast-forward. I will have used my time in ways in which I need it, by taking the long route home or not doing anything while waiting for the microwave to be done or the computer to load. Maybe if I slow down, life won't feel so overwhelming in stress-inducing or anxiety-ridden times.

Go Spanish Time! Peace!

-Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment