Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Shadows in the Painting

I met someone today in chapel. His name is Lyle and he graduated from Concordia 60 years ago. While chapel was engaging today, the message I took away from it came from Lyle afterwards.

After chit-chatting for a while, Lyle and mine's conversation soon became a deep conversation. We began to talk about the imperfections in life and the difficulties that ensue. Here's what he told me:
Think of a good oil painting. Every good painting has shadows that bring out the light. Keep the paint wet and the painter can change what is on the canvas. Too many shadows, the painting has no depth. Not enough shadows and the brilliance of the colors and lighting is lost. Shadows are necessary but one cannot let it take over.

This past year has been the hardest yet for me, as I have said before. The shadows of my life ruled my picture for months. But, like an oil painting, I can remove some of the paint and paint more light into it. I have tried and tried to forget everything that happened and begin anew with not much success; but Lyle's words now ring true.

The shadows are nothing to be afraid of; sure, they suck. They are terrible and I wish they didn't happen but they did. But now, I can paint more light into my life portrait, utilizing the shadows to my benefit. As Lyle said, I can learn from them - both the shadows and the light - and see what picture they can create by themselves. Together, they are beautiful. A bit of a mess up close with valleys and ridges of paint, but what oil painting isn't a mess close up? The greater picture, though, can be simply stunning.

Peace.

-Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment