Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

How To: Surprise Someone

Steps:
1. Fib just a bit. Create an illusion of something, only to break it later.
2. Get other people in on it. The more, the merrier.
3. Let the person find out about the surprise...don't just tell them about it.
4. Don't be to rigid about timing. Be flexible - again, let the person figure things out themselves. It's more of a surprise then.
5. Offend the person just a little bit. (But not enough so that they are angry at you.)
6. Overall, make sure the person is enjoying everything.

This past weekend was Megan's 20th birthday. And before I say anything else, let me first say that I love birthdays. I plan for my birthday months in advance and I adore going to other people's birthdays. To me, birthdays are a celebration of life. No matter what the past year entailed, a birthday is a celebration of making it another year and the wish of more birthdays to come. I love birthdays.

To Megan, though, birthdays are nothing special. Being so close to her, this was an issue. So I started to plan. I told her I wouldn't be able to make it down for her birthday because I had to work. Then I contacted a few of her friends from home and got them in on it. Heck, I even talked to her mom. I arrived at Melissa's house, who I was staying with, and there we put our plan into action. The whole weekend went flawlessly. I couldn't have asked for it to go any better.

I hate surprises. I don't like not knowing what's going on. I like being in control, mainly. It seems most of the surprises in my life have had a bad edge to them. April Fools is my enemy. Horror movies? Never going to happen. Suspense movies? Yeah, no. But for some strange reason, I love surprising other people. I love getting reactions out of people. Megan asked me what my favorite part of the weekend was and my first response was "Your reactions." Her reaction was mainly shock and then pure enjoyment.

I think I've learned over the past weekend and even in the past months is that surprises can be good. Like a surprise birthday party. I've also discovered that surprises aren't always revealed all in one moment. Sometimes they take months. I'm surprised at how my relationships with people have developed and I'm surprised at what classes I enjoyed. And getting that surprise reaction out of others is cool too, maybe just because it's a surprise at what their reaction will be.

Surprises are confusing, but often very worth it. You learn a bit more about yourself and others, no matter what the outcome.

Peace!

-Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment