Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Snow

1. Early bird gets the washing machine (or 4).
2. Don't get too frustrated when you can't think of anything to write for a blog post.
3. Be tackled into the snow.
4. Snow is absolutely wonderful.

I hate winter. I hate how wet, dirty, freezing, horrible-driving weather and especially because of where I live, it never seems to end. Plus, I thrive off of sunlight. The more sun there is, the happier I am. I absolutely hate winter.

But I love snow.

A snowy world.
I love the way it sounds underneath my shoes. I love how it covers the trees. I love how lights look when the snow is falling. I love how it makes slip every once in a while, like it's reminding me to stay in the moment and watch where I'm going. More than anything, I love how it covers everything in a blanket.

Think about it - snow is the only type of weather that covers everything in a blanket of anything. Rain washes things clean, sun warms the skin, wind shakes things up...snow is the only thing that covers something in order to allow for change to happen. Underneath the snow, things are shift, changing, moving, growing, dying. After winter, the earth is slightly different than before.

Not only does the earth itself change, but we change with it. Underneath a snowy sky, we discover things about ourselves in the world. I thrive in the sun, but winter allows me to be more pensive and see the world in a different light (literally and figuratively).

Looks a bit like Narnia.
Underneath a blanket of snow, things are a bit more close and change happens without much notice. After the snow melts, things bloom and change is truly seen...but sometimes we need blanket of snow, or some sort of protection, to allow things to get ready for spring.

Be tackled into a pile of snow and have laughing fits as a a snowball hits in you in the back. Keep on trudging through the snow. Allow yourself to slip every once in a while. Enjoy the white earth. And love spring even more when it comes.

Peace!

-Nicole

2 comments:

  1. YOU ARE AMAZING. I was driving to work this morning and marveling at the trees, and thought about how sad it makes me that people pass by without wonder. I am glad you are full of wonder...wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and last night at youth group, my high was the snow and Lane asked if it sparkled like Edward and everyone laughed. It seemed half the room already know about my past observances :-)

    ReplyDelete