Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

All I Know

1. Learn to love iguanas.
2. Nutella and tortilla chips.
3. There will be good days and bad days.
4. Take a second to notice the ice on branches

Hello there!  Megan here and we appear to be back to our regular schedule somewhat.  Happy Wednesday.

Oh Socrates. He can actually be really annoying, especially when discussing the nature of piety.  I digress. Socrates is excellent because he recognized and understood his own lack of knowledge.  The quotation is as follows, or at least what we believe it to be, "All I know is I know nothing."  Being faced with all the things we don't know is a little bit terrifying, not to mention uncomfortable.  It can be easy to fall into a state of complacency with who we are and where we're at, after all, who wants to face the enormity of what we actually don't know or haven't experienced.

If there is one thing that we have a better handle on, it's ourselves.  In my opinion, we know ourselves better than we think we do--though I am very guilty of spinning myself into more than one existential crisis on more than one occasion. It is important to take the time to figure out what makes us tick because ultimately, we can never fully divulge everything to someone else.  We can get to know each other very well, but no one will ever know someone else, not completely.

I say this because I have been riding the struggle bus a lot lately, oh boy have I. I seem to be conflicted about everything, ranging from my emotions, to my major, to my goals for next year, and finally, to my career choice.  I never seem to find any conviction to back up my decisions, or even the will to commit to a decision.  I struggle with a lot of aspects of my own identity really.  It's just how I am. 

Now, I may not have the greatest grasp on myself, but I think I know what I enjoy, what I'm good at, and what I want for the future.  Never in a million years did I think I would be pondering the concept of vocation.  I'm a bit stuck in its religious context after hearing prayers for an increase in vocations every Sunday for years.  But I think I need to just follow my instincts and go with what feels natural to me as far as major and career, and maybe even life itself.  That's what vocation is right?  A calling to employ your natural gifts and interests. 

So when you feel like you don't know anything, stick to what you're good at, and stick to what you love.  I'm a strong believer in that if you have a will to succeed and be happy, you will find a way, all while being able to do what you love.  I mean heck, the artist who works on Google's special occasion doodles is probably successful and happy with what he's doing.  So maybe I should just take a breath and not question everything so much.  Maybe it's where I belong.  I mean, I would make a terrible surgeon because it completely goes against every one of my talents, interests, and abilities. Yep, I'll stick to psych.

Cliché as it is, just follow your heart.  It may not be right 100% of the time, but I think it's the best you and I have.

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment