Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Sewing

1. Waffles are good for lunch too.
2. Wearing flats is cute - but freezing in winter.
3. Playing with children is the perfect pick-me-up.
4. Sewing is scary.

For the past few days, I've been volunteering in the costume studio in the theatre (my goal is to be hired as a technical assistant). Mostly I've been cleaning things or cutting out patterns and pinning pieces together to be sewn together by someone else. On Friday, I was given a new project - sew a pair of pants. Sure, I've been on a sewing machine, but that was two years ago and that machine was not as fancy as the ones in the costume studio. Let's just say, I was slight afraid I was going to mess up this pair of pants. This was to be worn by someone on stage, in a production - to be seen by everyone.

Life is a huge sewing project. Two pieces of fabric - two souls - are put together, the edges are matched together, and they are pinned together. Then a few stitches are put in and tah-dah! a piece of clothing or whatever it may be. Sometimes the edges don't quite meet or sometimes the stitches aren't as strong or frequent as it should be or the line isn't straight. But those imperfections - no matter how huge - is what makes life. Heck, what sometimes seems like an imperfection turns out to be what is exactly needed. There are a ton of different kinds of stitches - there are tight stitches for a frequently pulled on, there are hidden, loose stitches for hems and so on and so forth. Every relationship we have serves a different purpose - so of course the pattern used, the tightness of the stitches, the placement of the thread is going to be different.

My life right now is full of sewing (literally and figuratively). I am meeting new people, in new places, having new adventures - trying different fabrics that would coordinate well with me. Sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes the line isn't straight, sometimes the grain isn't matched up, sometimes it's crazy-intricrate.

What I'm trying to say is this - sometimes you can't see what the finished product is. You just have to sew along the line and make it the best you can from what you see. Sometimes the end product turns out to be a mess but sometimes, it's amazing.

Keep on sewing away.

Peace!

-Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment