Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Happy New Day!

1. Sifting through old pictures is a great way to spend an evening.
2. Spending time with old friends is a hoot.
3. Being in your element is a great confidence booster.
4. Every day is new.

Happy New Day! Here's to a new day and I have a few resolutions for this New Day. I will be happier, eat as I please, and try new things. It will be better than the one before.

I've never been a fan of New Year's. I don't know why, but it just seems like a lot of hype for nothing but the change of a time. On New Year's Day, I was on Facebook and it was full of New Year's resolutions, such as eating better, moving on from past relationships, becoming more emotionally stable, and living for themselves.

While I agree with some of the resolutions and raise my eyebrows at others, I think it is simply odd we make all of these resolutions on a day that is like every other. Every day has a new date - why should we make the first of the new year any different?

I do think we should celebrate the fact we made it another trip around the sun, but sometimes, it get's a bit ridiculous. Each day we are given a chance to do things differently, to make a bigger and greater impact on the world around us. Every day is like the first of the year. Heck, every moment is like the first of the year. In Buddhist thought, we are never the same person moment to moment. Each new moment, a few cells in our body have died, a new thought is in our mind, different words are being spoken, we are breathing different air - everything about us is different. The only thing we share in common with our 2-minutes-ago-self is our past, but other than that, we are totally different.

Each new year, day, moment brings a new opportunity to change things - about ourselves and the world. So instead of making New Year's Resolutions, why don't we make New Day Resolutions? Why don't we toast each new day with a cup of orange juice at breakfast? Why don't we count down to midnight each night?

We have a brand-new day ahead of us. My resolution is to be happier, eat as much ice cream and cookies as I want, and do crazy, wonderful things. This day will be even better than the last.

Peace!

-Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment