Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Stigma

1. Sometimes research is depressing.
2. Always remember that professors are people too.
3. Take a nap.
4. You have more control than you think.

Megan here.  It's the week before finals and we're all freaking out a little bit.  Life is crazy.

I grumble a lot about some of my classes, my sociology class in particular as of late.  It's just been a pain in my side and it shows no signs of slowing down.  I have two papers due on Monday... The thing is my professor can be a bit insensitive and well... a typical male.  His big thing is basketball, but for all I have against the guy, he really says some insightful things when he gets on a rant.  They just tend to stick in my head for a little while as I go on with the rest of my day.

Today we talked about deviance and stigmas, sanctions, norms, etc... What is deviant in society is set by those in power.  The only problem is that we're often the ones with that power.  We enforce the social norms by inflicting sanctions on those we label as deviant--even if that deviance isn't hurting anyone or anything.  My professor made the comment, "We have to remember that society lives in our heads."

I'm not quite sure what was so earth shattering about that, I mean, I guess I'm not too deviant, or wouldn't be marked as such by society.  Sure, my blue hair was a bit of a shock to my grandparents, but they got over it I think.  It's just that sometimes we listen too much to the influences around us and maybe lose sight of who we are, or who we felt we were.

There's this concept of labeling theory that says that once you label someone as something, they begin to see themselves as fitting that label.  If you label someone as a criminal, they feel that's the only label that fits and essentially they go along with it and play the part.  I'm just thinking about my own life in which I was fine in one area, happy as being one thing, until that one thing was rejected by those I trusted most.  Maybe it's natural to enforce or fight for what we feel as normal, a result of subconscious action even, but when that subconscious action interferes with individuality, that's when we need to reexamine what we value as a society.

Don't let society live in your head, at least don't let it smother what makes you you and what makes you happy.  Fight back, and resist the pressure and temptation to fit into certain groups or certain circles.  Do what makes you happy, as long as you're not causing harm or detriment to someone else.  You really do have more control than you think, and maybe if we all put forth a little effort to resist useless societal sanctions and norms, we'll start seeing some positive changes.

Be safe, be well, be happy. All my love,

-Megan


No comments:

Post a Comment