Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Live For Today

"All I can say about life is, Oh God, enjoy it!" -Bob Newhart

Megan here, I'm back!

I was talking to a friend the other day and she gently reminded me of something that I guess I needed to be reminded of.  She said, "No one is obligated to be unhappy." I think I need to perhaps just take a few more moments to reevaluate what makes me happy and pursue that a little bit more.  I'm not going to live forever, and my goal in life should not be to compromise my happiness for other people.

Delay of gratification is simply putting off gratification now in order to reap greater rewards in the future.  It develops in early childhood and coincides with greater emotional control.  My idea is what if sometimes we push the delay of gratification too far?  I am so guilty of living in the future, it's not even funny.  Here's how my life plan has looked so far:

Get good grades > Go to good college + get good grades > Go to good grad school + get good grades > Work a lot to pay off loans and save up for retirement > Retire

Now, that's a pretty good, goal oriented plan.  I think I've done ok so far... but there needs to be space and time in there for me to sit back and be happy.  I know I don't deal with stress well, I just don't.  It's something I am working on, but I am constantly stressing about how well I can set myself up for my next life phase.

So something new for me to work on: live for today and enjoy where I'm at.

Peace and love,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment