Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Love Thy Neighbor

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix

Megan here.

I cannot get this election off my mind. I just want it to be over, but my stomach is in knots over the possible outcomes. I will probably cry at some point tomorrow, either tears of joy or immense pain and sorrow.

I wish everyone would always think about how their actions affect those around them, including those already marginalized by society. Voting has real life consequences, and I wish members of my own family realized how important these issues are to me, because it will change our relationship.  There's no way it can't  be affected, and while we'll always be family, that alone does not compel or require me to compromise my values and beliefs in their presence.

"Love thy neighbor."  It seems simple to me.  Love is something that builds someone up. It eases pain, gives comfort, provides a light in the darkness, and makes someone feel safe. Love doesn't shame, invoke fear, or cause pain. Love thy neighbor means showing respect, providing for needs, ending stigmatization and discrimination, and overall just being a decent person.

Please, please, please, please go vote.  From the bottom of my heart, I urge you to step into that voting booth and think about how those marks will affect your neighbors.  Show some respect and show some love.  I think if we need more of anything these days, it's precisely that. Love.

With all of my LOVE,

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment