Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

For Good

1. Not having class until 1:20 is pretty awesome.
2. Wear a jacket, even if you think you'll be warm enough.
3.  Libraries are not such productive places when you are on FB.
4. I have been changed for good.


"Who can say if I've been changed for the better? / But because I knew you / I have been changed for good." - For Good from Wicked

It's been three weeks since I started classes. Three weeks. I don't even know what to think about it. Three weeks ago, I went to class and had my first class of college. Three weeks ago, I met my 'twin' and became closer to everyone around me. Two weeks ago I met someone who changed my life for good. I have had classes already cancelled, started to learn to play guitar, impromptu concerts held in my dorm room, spent too many nights staying up late, and have grown so much in who I am.

Life is a game of imitation. When we are little, we copy our parents and siblings. When we are older and growing into our teen years, we idolize celebrities and mimic what they are doing. When we start middle school and high school, we will do anything to get attention, so we start to 'follow the crowd'. Most of this is not intentional; it is just how we function as humans. We are still individuals; we were born who we are. But we aren't a hard, glazed pot. We are soft clay and different textures, colors, and shapes are put into us; finger prints are left. Life is process, not point A and point B.

We also start to learn little quirks from others around us. Take swearing for an extreme example. When we are thrown into a group that is using profanity left and right, we tend to start to pick up on that habit. It's the same with pretty much everything else. I have begun to notice my new friends' sayings pop up in conversations I have with others. I am noticing some of my mannerisms are a carbon copy of my friends'. And it is happening the other way around too. My little quirks are appearing in my friends and my random saying are becoming a part of the vernacular.

I am not a different person from when I moved into college; I just have a few more colors on my 'vase of life' and a few more finger prints have been created.

And it has only been three weeks. What is my vase going to look like once I am three months, one year, three years into college? I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Peace!

-Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment