Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Be Kind

I'm mean. Or at least, I have been lately. I snap back at my friends and I seem to have no tolerance for professors who don't do things the way I want them. I have no idea why... maybe it's because I'm stressed or maybe it's because I have lost sight of what's good. No matter the cause, there just seems to be no good reason for me to keep on being mean.

People have asked me in recent years what was one thing my mom taught me that I still hold onto. And my answer is always the same: be kind. She always taught me to talk about people in the best light, even if you dislike them or disagree with them. The person on the other side of the story has their own story and they have their own beliefs that they believe in as fully as I do - why would I push them down with my words for being them? This is not to say I should be 'nice'. Nice is making sure everyone is happy and gets what they want. To me, nice is an easy thing to do. Nice makes it easier for me to let them have it their way and then go home and talk about how wrong they were. Being kind, on the other hand, is harder. It requires me to slow down and really think about whether these emotions are about me not getting my way or if I am honestly hurt by someone else's actions.

To amend my first statement, I've been 'nice'. I have blamed others for being someone who isn't me. It seems my roommate, my close friends, and my boyfriend have gotten the brunt of this easy-way-out-niceness.

So what am I going to do about it? I'm going to try to be aware of what's going on around me. Megan taught me a cool little statement: "I am kind, I am patient, I am loving". I am going to write it wherever I can, make sure I can see it, and try to see everyone in the best light possible. I have recently heard from multiple spiritual leaders that when someone is hurt, the victimizer is hurt just as much. It comes in more of an implicit manner, taking a toll on how one views the world and people.

This is a promise and an open apology: be kind. And I challenge you to do the same. Be kind. Give everyone the benefit of the doubt, because to them, you are the other side of the story.

Peace!

-Nicole

6 comments:

  1. That should be a meditation phrase! Mine last year was peace with the in breath, love with the out breath. And this brings in something I've been thinking about, that Eboo Patel made me consider: I'm super duper kind and accepting of the more liberal branches of all religions, but yet fundamentalists only ever make me feel hate/anger. So I'm trying harder to love everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ÿou are the other side of the story... wow my girl, your wisdom amazes me. Couldn't be prouder, just couldn't. Well, maybe is you came and cleaned the house :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just what I needed to hear today! Thank you! God meant for you to be "mean" so you could learn a lesson & teach others like me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you nicoley....thanks for the reminder! And you must have been listening good, because reading your words sounded exactly like what I've heard from your mom numerous times too! You 2 are very special to me!!!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always admired you for your kindness. I will gladly tolerate a lapse or two.

    ReplyDelete